Sarah Beth Costello
Elon University: Elon, N.C.
Graduation date: May 2011
Major: Journalism and Digital Art, GPA: 3.407
Related Coursework: Media Writing, Reporting for the Public Good, Digital Media Convergence, Editing and Design, Digital Art I & II
University Relations: Elon, N.C.
Student Writer, 06/01/09 – Present
• Wrote feature articles and personality profiles of alumni, faculty, staff and students for the school publication, Magazine of Elon, which has a circulation of 30,000.
• Attended events, conducted interviews and compiled short and long news pieces on tight deadlines for E-Net, the university news Web site.
• Wrote public relations pieces for brochures sent out to potential students, personality profiles for the Elon newsletter and was responsible for the photography of several events.
The Pendulum, Elon University student newspaper, Elon, N.C.
Reporter/columnist, 2008 – Present
• Regular contributor of news articles, feature stories and opinion pieces.
• Experience in conducting interviews, research, writing good, solid and attractive ledes and commanding knowledge of AP Style.
Phi Psi Cli, Elon University Yearbook, Elon, N.C.
Multimedia Editor, 2008 – Present
• Wrote news articles, feature stories, covered events and copy-edited stories.
• Gained experience in photography, shooting campaign rallies, guest speakers, homecoming, etc.
• Manage the Phi Psi Cli blog and help with design for advertising.
New Directions International, Graham, N.C.
Graphic Design Intern, Spring 2009
• Designed digital artwork for both print and online media, including a fully-colored, 16-page newsletter, book covers, pamphlets, posters and worked on an organizational blog site.
The Burlington Times-News, Burlington, N.C.
Writer, 2006 – Present
• Published numerous feature articles and performance reviews in the Teens & 20’s section, and recently submitted a guest column which was published in October.
Media: Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Final Cut Pro
Web 2.0: WordPress, Blogger, Twitter, Facebook, Search Engine Optimization, Publish 2, Issuu, database searches
Writing: Knowledge of AP Style, writing ledes, conducting interviews, citing sources, knowledge of grammar and proper writing style.
University Relations, Elon University Elon, N.C.
Student Writer, Summer 2009 – Present
Media Services, Elon University, Elon, N.C.
Student Worker, 2007 – Present
Winshape Camps, Mount Berry, Ga.
Camp Counselor, May 2008 – July 2008
A Cut Above Tuxedos, Burlington, N.C.
Customer Service Representative, 2007 – 2008
Chick-fil-a, Burlington, N.C.
Customer Service Representative, 2004 – 2007